Thursday, April 9, 2020

Calm before the snow..

How does one be creative when it feels like the world is falling apart? 

How do we as professors/teachers ask our students to be creative in a time like this? 

I remember Hurricane Katrina hitting the gulf coast I love so much and not knowing where my family was and if they would be okay.  There was this unknown and eerie drive to watch the news ALL of the time which showed only stupid people looting and folks on their roofs waving for help.
You feel helpless and distant and guilty and sad.

It is hard to help because the work you have chosen pays your bills, or the schooling you are in is not finished and it's up to you to do so.
It's hard to not look at the news because you feel so far away,
you are hopeful for any kind of positive news
that says things are getting better.

The one thing you want to do is throw your arms around those that are hurting and we currently cannot do this.

I am supposed to be advising students but how do you advise on the future when we do not know what that is?

I have been taking walks around the tree area of Laramie every day simply to get some fresh air, perspective, and exercise.  Ive gone from walking/teaching a minimum of 5 miles a day to sitting in front of a computer for hours at a time.
It clears my head and makes me smile looking at others getting out too. We stay away from each other but still being human together.

Then when I get back to home, I feel almost as if it were summer, and my time is simply my time.
This then allows me to be creative.
To problem solve.
To smile and laugh and be hopeful.
Keeping my hands busy allows my mind to be busy in a productive way.  I also surround myself with people I love, we have corona cocktails at 5 with different friends and family, and we laugh and cook dinner together.  It makes the time pass and we get to see our favorite faces.
This keeps me going.

Things will get better.

Something may happen in our future that disrupts our lives again, but maybe for reasons of merely getting back to what is important.  To love, to make and make a difference in the world, and 
to be kept on our toes.

Until the snow hits this weekend, I will enjoy the warmth and perspective Wyoming is bestowing us.

Track for the day:

Samba da Bencao- Bebel Gilberto

favorite art image..
Eva Hesse

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive